Neighborhood Narratives Tokyo

Monday, March 06, 2006

Screening of "Tarnation"

The documentary Tarnation was a nice surprise to me. I think it is really neat that he has collected media from his life since he was 11 years old. It of course makes the documentary pretty much as subjective as it can get. Adding to that, he uses words, chosen by him, to emphasize things and bring the documentary forward. But the extreme subjectivity is not a problem in this documentary in my opinion. The movie was made to show his opinion of the events in his life, and that is exactly what it does.
I think the images and movie clips work well with the music. That is, to bring the feelings that I think that he wants us to feel. I also like that the narration is not by a voice, but instead it is simple text on the screen. I think this leaves more up to the viewer to determine the feelings and mood.
I think that the documentary is successful at doing what I feel Jonathan Caouette wants us to feel and think. I do not think he had any intension of being objective or traditional when he made this documentary. He simply wanted to tell us the story of his life, from his view in his way.
This is an interesting concept that I think, as we said in class, we will see more of in the future. Kyle is completely right when he said that the ability to record your own life using different medias is today much easier than it was even ten or twenty years ago. On that note, I hope to see more of this kin of documentary, as I think they broaden my view of documentaries and I always think that there are things you can learn from other people and their lives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home