Neighborhood Narratives Tokyo

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

3 Day Investigation (Tamachi Station)

Images I took with my cell phone of Tamachi Station...



I did my three-day investigation at Tamchi Station in central Tokyo. There are two lines that go in to the station where I did my observations; Yamanote, and Kehin-Tohoku. Yamanote line runs all the way around central Tokyo and Kehin-Tohoku line goes all the way out to Ofuna, around an hour outside central Tokyo. Therefore I thought there was going to be a good mix of people to observe. But I was wrong.
The first day I was there I simply stood in the middle of the station and looked at people that came through. This was when afternoon rush hour was getting started about 4 pm. I fast realized that the crowd that comes through the station is not as diverse as I hoped it would be. I soon realized that the people were almost exclusively businesses men and women mix with some student here and there. Even the second time I was observing at the station I saw almost no change, and this was around noon.
After thinking about my observations I realize that what I kept seeing at Tamachi station makes perfect sense. All around this station is high office buildings. The only other places one can find is the small convenient stores and Izkaya’s (Japanese type of restaurant / drinking place) for the business men to get drunk in after work. This is also the only other change I saw when I observed the station later in the evening, around 10, there is simply more drunk people. I guess the students that I saw may have come from Keio Univ. that is not that far from the station. I also know that there are more schools below Univ. level but I don’t know their names.
Finally, I guess that I did learn a little more about Tamachi station but nothing that really excites me. I guess it does its job as a station; it is not a place you would want to stay for a long time. (My interview, that will be available on here soon, reviles that I am not the only one to think this way.)






Test to publish audio...









0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home